“When is a good time to do a detox?” is a question I am frequently asked. Have you ever wondered this yourself? The convenient answer is “autumn and spring”. The realistic answer due to our current environment is “every day”.
Why every day? Because every day you are exposed to many toxic chemicals, whether you leave your home or not…
- Smog alerts now reach us here in south Georgian Bay: car exhaust, industrial pollution…
- Chemicals in your office environment: toner for the printer, over 200 volatile organic compounds from the carpets…
- Chemicals in your home environment: air fresheners, carpets, household cleaning products, laundry detergents, microwaving your foods in plastic…
- Chlorine in your drinking water.
- Chemicals in your foods: artificial colours, sweeteners, flavours and dyes, pesticides, preservatives…
- Other products containing synthetic chemicals include: pesticides, bodycare products, cosmetics, first- & second- hand smoke, paint & their solvents, magazine inks…
Other: In CBC’s Chasing the Cancer Answer in 2007, Wendy Mesley had many chemicals found in her blood for which she could not identify the source, including DDT (a synthetic pesticide that has been banned in Canada since the early 1970’s!).
Yes, there are many chemicals out there, but that doesn’t mean your only option is to go and live in a treehouse far away from civilization (built of non-pressure-treated wood and no carpeting)! But what it does mean is that you need to be mindful of your toxin exposure, learn how to reduce your exposure and support your organs that deal with these toxins on a regular basis.
Some of the organ systems in your body which play an important role in detoxification include:
…so as you can see, doing a ‘detox’ requires more than simply cleansing your liver.
A naturopathic doctor will help you to:
- reduce your daily toxin exposure
- use effective ways to keep your detoxification organs healthy on a regular basis
- recommend a cleansing protocol most appropriate for you, considering your overall health (past & present)
Did you know? Synthetic carpeting is one of the most toxic new building materials!